Tuesday 10 January 2012

Toupee


301 Anon2002/04/21 16:23
While I was still an elementary schooler, I happened to know my dad’s secret.
When I was playing with dad, his hair suddenly fell off on the floor.
He wore a toupee.....
“D-Dad....toupee!?”
At dinner on that day, I, who was just an ignorant kid back then, proudly talked to mum and big brother about dad’s toupee as if I got to know something they might not know.
Later, mum strongly said “He’s seriously bothered about the toupee so don’t talk about that ever again!”, and I learnt that was something I must not talk about no matter what.

20 years since that day, I have never mentioned his toupee.
When he gave me a ride on his shoulders, I tried really hard not to touch his hair.
When I was going through rebellious stage and had an argument against him, I really wanted to scream out “You toupee old man!” at him but resisted that desire.
I knew he set his toupee or put hair restorer at the bathroom, so even when I was at an adolescence and really wanted to set my hair with hair wax, I kept patient and didn’t rush him.

Even though I have been putting so much effort on not mentioning his toupee, my big brother, whose head is recently becoming balding, says “My hair is getting like dad’s! Maybe I should try that hair implant thing haha!” to dad without hesitation whatsoever.
Even mum says “Your hair loss is inherited from dad.”
Dad, I’ll never talk about your hair unlike mum and brother! I’ll pretend not to realise your toupee for my life!!